Frequently Asked Questions
It means that we don't yet know if the current customer living in the suite plans to renew their lease or terminate it. If you would like to receive notice of a certain type of unit becoming available, simply click ‘Sign Up’ in the top right-hand corner of the page. Once you are registered we shall send you an email update as soon as we know of an available property that meets you criteria.
- Sign up to create a user profile on or Website. This will allow you to input your property interest and allow you to submit an online application;
- Call us to arrange your time to view your desired property;
- Login to www.VarsityProperty.com using your email address and the password you created;
- Submit an online application for us to process;
Print and review the Lease Agreement that we will email you upon approval of your application;
- For a period of 48 hours from the time we email your Lease Agreement we shall not lease your suite to anyone else. However, if you fail to return your signed lease and deposit of first + final month's rent within the stated period you shall loose lease-signing exclusivity on the suite.
- Sign the Lease Agreement;
- Ready deposit of a chouse or bank draft equal to first and final month’s rent; (we cannot accept cash, debit or credit cards)
Deliver your Lease Agreement and deposit to our office and you will have secured your new home;
- If you send these documents by express courier please email the tracking code to Apply@VarsityProperties.com within the established 48 hour time period. Do this so we know you are taking the suite and that you don't loose your suite it to someone else if the courier package arrives late;
- Pickup keys to you suite from our office any time after 12:00 PM (Noon) on May 1st.
The leasing process is quite simple to complete and it can be done remotely. There are many pictures on our Website, which should help you get a feel of what you will be leasing. We lease several suites each year to people who are out of the country or overseas.
We moved to a paperless rent payment system in 2005. The system is more secure than cash or post-dated cheques and it uses 43% less paper. Simply provide one 'VOID' cheque, sign a pre-authorized debit (PAD) agreement for our bank and we will automatically process all rent payments directly from your chequeing account when due, it's that easy.
From time to time we have multiple groups interested in renting the same property on the same day. To deal with this we have created a leasing process that is fair and equitable.
When we learn there are multiple groups interested in the same property on the same day we invite all groups to tour during that day. It is not possible to "sign on the spot" if you like the suite. Each interested group must submit rental applications and an email containing their monthly rent offer to Apply@VarsityProperties.com . When making our Resident selection we assign a weight of 25% to application quality and 75% to the rent offer amount. The daily deadline for submitting applications and rent offer emails is 10:00 PM, after which time no more offers shall be considered. By 11:00 AM the following day we shall email all applicants the selection results. One group will receive a lease to review and sign, the other groups shall be informed of the offer outcome. The selected group shall have 48 hours of exclusivity to sign the lease and deliver a deposit, failing which the next ranked group in line will be invited to sign a lease base on their rental offer.
From time to time the selected group elects not to complete the lease, so if you are ranked lower than first there is a possibility you may get a chance to lease the suite.
No. All of our leases begin at 12:00 PM (Noon) May 1st. and run for a term of 12-months to expire at 11:59 AM on April 30th.
Yes. Simply have your Sublet apply online through our Website. We will send you an email requesting payment of a non-refundable $25.00 per applicant on fee to process the Sublet applications. Upon approval we shall send you and your Sublet a Sub-lease Agreement for you and you Sublet to sign. Once you have agreed to terms with your Sublet return the Sub-lease Agreement to our office for our final signature.
Note: We require a minimum of 5 business days to process a sub lease applications. Do not provide occupancy until a Sub-lease is signed by us. Failure to obtain our approval of a Sub-lease Agreement shall result eviction.
Yes. All of our suites come with housing keeping services included in the rent. This service is mandatory as it helps to maintain our properties at the highest standard of quality and supports your academic achievement. Our residents love always tell us how much they love to return home after a hard day to their tidy, clean, and fresh smelling Varsity Property. Teresa Gagnon, our Housekeeping Manager, and her team provide amazing service!
When a resident who has signed for a fixed lease term wishes to terminate their lease early, we cannot grant their request.
The Resident’s choices are:
- Continue to pay their rent for the remainder of their term, but don’t live in the suite
- Find a replacement resident to sign a sub-lease agreement. In this case the sub-let pays rent to the head tenant and the head tenant pays Varsity Properties as per the Head Lease.
- Hire Varsity Properties to assist in the sourcing of a resident to sign a sub-lease agreement. Varsity Properties is paid a fee, only if successful, equal to the deposit on hand if occupancy has been granted or total amount of pre-paid rent on hand if occupancy has not yet been granted.
- Make Varsity Properties a monetary offer in writing to buy out the remaining months of their lease term. Varsity Properties can grant a termination to end a lease early, however only with monetary compensation and with termination dates of either September 2ndand May 2nd.
Upon approving an application we email to the applicant a copy of their new lease agreement. For a period of 48 hours following our email the applicant has exclusive signing rights to sign a lease for the designated particular suite. We won't sign a lease with anyone else for that suite during that period. During this 48 hour period we consider the suite to be "Conditionally Leased". Conditional, because if they fail to deliver a signed lease, full deposit or a coruior tracking code of a package being sent to us prior to the expiry of the 48 hour period the applicant shall loose exclusivty and we shall offer the suite to another party.
A rent deposit secures your hold on a Varsity Property in advance of the occupancy date. The deposit is a payment made on the date of signing the lease which is an amount equal to two month’s rent. Your deposit is credited towards your first month’s rent when it comes due, typically May 1st. The balance is held by Varsity Properties and applied towards your final month’s rent when it becomes due, typically 12 months later on April 1st.
Should you extend your lease for a further term your final month moves to the last month of your new term. In cases where the rent has increased for your new term you will need to make a payment to increase your deposit equal to the difference between your original monthly rent and the new monthly rent. When your final month comes due this deposit is applied and you don’t have to make any additional rent payments in your final month.
Easy! Just send an email to Receipts@VarsityProperties.com. Be sure to include your name, date of occupancy, address of occupancy, phone number and the amount of rent you think you paid (we'll confirm this in our receipt). We'll then send you a PDF version of your rent receipt which you can print and sent to Revenue Canada.
If you have been locked out, have a flood, a lack of heat or other emergency situation call our 24 hour support line at 613-545-3322 or toll free 1-855-VARSITY
Our new online repair system is designed to allow you to get help fast. Simply log on to your VarsityVIP account, Click "Submit Work Order" and you will be show a serise of pictures to help you pin point he source of your problem. As you work to narrow your issue you shall be given a serise of suggestions to help you solve the problem quickly on your own. If you can't seem to find a solution on our website, you can submit details of your non-emergency repair online and we will to fix the issue. Once we receive your request you and all other residents sharing your sutie will receive an email confirming our receipt and outlining time line expectations. Every step of the way we email our residents to keep them informed of the progress and final completion of any work requested.
No. Varsity Properties does not permit transitioning residents to communicate with each other through us and we do not share the names, phone numbers or email addresses of new residents or current residents.
This policy has been enacted to prevent:
- the selling of furniture between existing and new residents. We do not want any furniture left in any suite during turn over as it impedes the ability of our staff to properly clean a suite our new residents. Furthermore, when furniture is left for the next resident it is often the case that the vacating resident believes that other items such as debris, garbage bags or food can also be left in the suite when they vacate. This can create a significant amount of work for our staff to properly clean a suite for an incoming resident.
- undocumented over-holding or sub-let scenarios. Varsity Properties must obtain vacant possession of each property no later than 12:00 noon on the last day of the tenancy so that we can properly clean, repair and document pre-existing damages for the new resident. When Varsity Properties does not have possession of the suite between residents, we are unable to distinguish a separation of responsibility of the suite and provide a high level of service to our new residents. Were Varsity Properties not to have possession between residents occupancies it would be the same as if a new hotel guest were to pick up a hotel room key from the previous guest without a visit to the room from housekeeping to replenish any missing towels and clean to the toilet.
Kingston's municipal noise by-law is one of the most strict in the Province of Ontario. In the City of Kingston, 24 hours a day, no resident is permitted to make noise (yelling, playing loud music, etc.) that disturbs another resident...period. This is something that every resident of the City of Kingston should know, but many new residents are surprised to learn.
Varsity Properties has a two step process for dealing with noisy neighbours.
Step 1 - To summon help with a noisy neighbour immediately call:
- 613-546-4291 8:30 AM - 6:00 PM Monday - Saturday
- 613-549-4660 All other times
Step 2 - If your noise complaint is against another Varsity Resident, call 613-545-3322 or visit our office to complete a Resident Complaint Report. This is extremely important as it helps us to build a case against the offending resident which will lead to an eviction.
All noise complaints are made anonymously, so please speak up if you are having trouble. You don't deserve to have an uncomfortable living environment.